What days are county offices closed?
County Offices are closed on all official holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas.

What are county office hours?
All County Offices are open from 9:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. - Monday through Friday. The Laurens County Building Codes and Inspections Office opens at 8:00 A.M. until 5:00 P. M. - Monday through Friday.

How do I apply for a county job?
Current job vacancies are published in the two local newspapers--The Laurens County Advertiser and The Clinton Chronicle. Applications can be obtained by visiting the Laurens County Church Street Office Complex, 3 Catherine Street (at the corner of Church and Catherine).

How do I do business with Laurens County?

To receive an application to be considered for various bids, contact us at Laurens County Purchasing Department, PO Box 445, Laurens, South Carolina 29360 (864) 984-5199 Upon your request, we will send you a copy via regular mail or e-mail.

Does Laurens County require a business license?
Laurens County does not require a business license in the unincorporated areas of the County at this time. However, if you are going to be conducting business in any of the cities, you need to check with City Offices for business licenses.

How do I get a building permit?
For building permits located anywhere in the county except in the cities of Laurens and Clinton, apply at the Building Codes & Inspections Department, Judicial / Services Complex, Hillcrest Square.,(864) 984-6659. You will need to bring two sets of construction plans, and know your tax parcel number. If you will not be using public sewer, a septic tank permit from DHEC is required. A building permit is required for any construction valued at $1,000 or more. A General Contractor's License is required for anyone constructing a non-residential building valued more than $5,000.

Am I eligible to vote in Laurens County, if so, where do I register?
In order to vote, South Carolina law requires one must first register to vote at least thirty (30) days prior to the election. Voter Registration / Election, (864) 984-4431, is located in the Historic Courthouse, Laurens Public Square. Click Here to Learn More.

Where is the landfill and when is it open?
The main Laurens County Landfill site is located on By-Pass #123. There are many "Greenbox sites located in Laurens County. Contact the Public Works Department, Landfill Division, at (864) 984-6812 for information as to the closest site to you.

Who do I call to arrange for garbage pickup?
If you live in one of the cities, call the city for information about garbage pickup. The County does not provide garbage pickup in the unincorporated area of the county. There are private haulers available that will pick up your garbage at your house. However, all county residents can use the 15 county green-box sites for disposal of their household garbage.

My road needs scraping. Who do I call?
A request of this nature pertains to county roads only (not State). If your road needs attention, call the Public Works Department, Road and Bridges Division at (864) 984-6812.

Where are the Magistrates' Offices?
There are several Magistrate's Offices located in Laurens County. See the list below to see which office is closest to you. Call the office to determine the hours they are open, as some of them are only part time.

Clinton Magistrate: 203 West Pitts St., Clinton, SC 29325 (864) 833-5879
Gray Court Magistrate: 329 Main St., Gray Court, SC 29645 (864) 642-1747
Laurens City Magistrate: PO Box 925, Laurens, SC 29360 (864) 683-4485

Where do I go to get a marriage license?
Marriage licenses are issued by the Probate Judge, (864) 984-7315, at the Judicial / Services Comples, 100 Hillcrest Square.

Where do I register my car?
Bring your title or old car registration form to the Auditor's Office, Judicial / Services Complex, (864) 984-2535. The Auditor's Office will issue you a tax bill, which must be paid in the Treasurer's Office, (864) 984-4742, in the same building. Take your paid tax receipt and title or car registration to the SC Highway Department, located at 390 Fairgrounds Road, in Laurens to complete the registration and to obtain your tag. For questions concerning vehicle registration, contact the local South Carolina Highway Department at (864) 682-3213.

Are there any county parks?
The County maintains twenty four parks located throughout the County. There are organized softball leagues (Churches, Industry) that utilize the County Park. Call (864) 984-5484.

Where are deeds recorded?
All records relating to property (deeds, mortgages, plats) are recorded in the Clerk of Court Office, RMC Division, (864) 984- 3538, at the Judicial / Services Complex - Hillcrest Square.

Where can I find out my E-911 street address?
Please call the E-911 / Communications Department on South Harper Street in Laurens at (864) 984-0812.

How do I know which fire district I am in?
Fire district boundaries were established by the County Council. All areas of the County are served by volunteer fire departments. You may call the Laurens County Fire Coordinator's Office at (864) 984-3624 to locate your district.

Who provides water in my area?
The County has no control over water providers in the County. The three main providers are the Laurens County Water / Sewer Commission at (864) 682-3250, the Laurens City Commission of Public Works at(864) 984-0481, or the City of Clinton at (864) 833-7520. To help identify your area, check with your next door neighbor to see who provides their water.

My property taxes are too high. What causes this?
Taxes are assessed cumatively by the County, the Cities, and the County School Boards. The County property and vehicle tax bills are sent out by the County, and include County, School and city taxes. Millage rates are established individually by the Cities, the School Board, and the County Council based on the annual budget approved each year. Taxes are determined by multiplying the value of the property times the millage rate. Vehicle values are determined by the State Department of Revenue. Property values are determined by the County Tax Assessor's Office. Property is also taxed based upon its use. If your land is being used for agricultural purposes, you are entitled to be taxed at the lowest rate, as established by the State of South Carolina. Owner-occupied housing is taxed based on 4% of its assessed value and receives the benefit of the educational tax credits approved by the State. Non owner-occupied housing (generally rental housing) is taxed based on 6% of its assessed value, and does not receive educational tax credits. If you think your property is valued too high, you must appeal your valuation in writing. Call the Tax Assessor's Office for more information at 864-984-6546.